The Amsteldiepdijk from 1924 is located between the Van Ewijcksluis and Wieringen and closes off part of the Amsteldiep and the Ulkediep. The closed part of the Amsteldiep thus became a lake, the Amstelmeer. Wieringen was directly connected to the mainland of North Holland and was therefore no longer an island. In fact, the Amsteldiepdijk is part of the Afsluitdijk , which closes off the former Zuiderzee and connects Noord-Holland and Friesland, which is why the Amsteldiepdijk is also called the ‘Kleine Afsluitdijk’ or ‘Korte Afsluitdijk’. The construction of the Amsteldiepdijk was an exemplary project for the large Afsluitdijk . The engineers of the Dienst der Zuiderzee Works , which was responsible for the construction of the Afsluitdijk and the polders of the Zuiderzee project learned a lot from it.
A number of things went wrong during the construction of the Amsteldiepdijk. Due to the soft soil, the dike body shifted and the underlay was squeezed out sideways. This is still clearly visible on the side of the Amstelmeer: along the dike is a nature reserve called ‘the subsidence’. The government blamed the contractors for the subsidence and had to pay compensation to the State. These events prompted several major contractors involved in the Zuiderzee project to join forces in a consortium, the Maatschappij totvoer van Zuiderzee Works (MUZ). The Afsluitdijk between Den Oever and Zurich was constructed by the MUZ.